Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Hike to Mendenhall Glacier



Last week, some new friends Rachel and Erin and I decided to hike to Mendenhall Glacier. It is only a few miles and climbing over some steep rocks to get right up next to the glacier. It was pretty amazing! It was a new experience to be this close to a glacier.



Here I am in a glacier cave. I admit to being a little nervous going under ice the size of a large building and stretching up the mountain side as far as the eye could see. But, with the encouragement of Rachel I did and am very glad for it. Just check out the beatiful color!



A small river was rushing under the glacier and probably formed this cave which I was standing under when I took this picture. Pretty awesome!



Here are my two great hiking buddies, Erin and Rachel heading back to the car. I have to go visit the glacier again soon because some big pieces broke off and are floating on the lake. Hopefully then I'll post more pictures of it.

No comments: