Sunday, October 14, 2007

Thunder Mountain



Finally a beautiful day that I could actually enjoy!! The sun was shining today and I wasn't at work. The last three weeks we've had at least two days of sun per week and I've worked all of them. So, I called my friend Rachel to climb a mountain that I've wanted to do ever since I've got here.
It was so awesome at the top. After climbing 2700 feet up in 3 miles, I was very satisfied with the view.



This is a cool bird. It totally blends in with the ground. I admit I don't know what kind of bird it is, there were about 5 or 6 hanging out on top of the mountain with us.



This hike is a good one because there is an awesome view of Mendenhall Glacier and lake with the icefields behind. It was so cool. I can't even describe the views from the top.



Then to finish this wonderful day we went to the information center at the glacier to look for bears on this walkway they have specifically designed for bear viewing.
And as you can see in these pictures we got to see some. Two babies were up in the tree because there was another strange bear in the area. Then the mother bear charges and starts chasing this strange bear away.
Let me tell you, I'm amazed at the speed of bears. WOW. They can run! Anyway after the mother bear chased the other one away she came back and calmly got a drink of water right under the boardwalk we were on. Awesome!



I'll definitely be back to watch the bears some more!

No comments: