Sunday, September 23, 2007

My float plane adventure


So out of the 10 or so days I've been in Juneau, two of those days have been nice. Where I could actually see blue sky and the sun! Last Tuesday I went up in a float plane for a nice 45 minute ride over glaciers and icefields.
The picture above shows Juneau from the air, looking south down the Gastineau Channel. Where the cruise ship is, the white spot in the middle of the picture is where downtown Juneau is.


This picture looks back to Mendenhall Glacier and valley which is where I live. It is about 6 miles from downtown.


The views were superb, and I couldn't have picked a better day to fly! Now I just need to learn to fly a plane myself so I don't have to pay the tourist fee for a 45 minute flight!


And as Juneau is not an island but one cannot drive to it, the pictures here show why. The icefields and mountains prevent any possible road access.


I'm glad for any sun I get even if it is only those two days!

2 comments:

Elia said...

Ahhh...sooo beautiful!

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking us with you. Keep up the quality pics!