Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Alaskan Wildlife



To give everyone a little idea of what I mean when I go bear viewing, I put this picture on. There is a really nice boardwalk, above ground where one can go to watch the bears when they are in the area. There are tons of Coho Salmon in the creek right now so it is prime bear and eagle watching. Anyway, this picture was a few weeks ago I went to see the bears and they were walking around right under the boardwalk. We all crept silently after them in hopes of "the perfect picture". I was a little concerned for the guy at the far end of the picture. I'm not sure I would have stood there. :) But the momma bear didn't seem too concerned.



The third viewing for me of this bear family was great! The bears actually came close enough to the boardwalk or viewing platforms so we could see them. This is a cute little cub. Looks hugable huh?



Two days ago, no bears in view, but I did find this little porcupine to watch for a few minutes. He didn't seem concerned that I was close and was just having some dinner.



Last, but not least, went whale watching yesterday. I had a patient tell me about a section of the road about 30 miles from Juneau where whales are continuing to hang out and eat their hearts out. And going out that far paid off because a whole pod was surfacing every 10-15 minutes for air. No fantastic jumps, but some alright tail shots. Graceful animals. Even from the distance we were viewing them, they are truly magnificant.

No comments: