Saturday, September 09, 2006

So, yesterday I went to climb Camel's Hump with a new friend, Allie. Started up on the east side of the mountain, it was a great hike and fun to be with someone else for a change. We climbed to the top, enjoyed the view for a bit and then started hiking back down. After hiking down for about an hour and 45 min, we came out to a completely different parking lot than the one we were supposed to be in. Hmmm...Obviously my map skills had failed me. After figuring out that we had completely missed the junction where we should have turned right (east) and went left (west) instead, we debated what to do next. Allie needed to be back to Burlington by 6pm, at the time it was 4:15 and we were at least 5 miles of hiking from the car. Humbly we started asking for a ride to our vehicle that was almost 30 mile drive around the small mountain. I say humbly because I don't like asking for things or admitting that I got a little turned around (in other words, LOST) I was more than willing to just turn around and hike up the mountain again before asking for a ride, but Allie had time constraints. So, as we asked some random people at the trailhead, we kept coming across people who also had time constraints and couldn't spend the time taking us back to my car. Finally three people with three white terriers graciously agreed to take us to Allie's house in Burlington. Much later in the evening when Allie was free, she took me back out to get my car. Quite an interesting end to the day.

The trail down the mountain.

Allie and I near a little pond with Camel's Hump in the far background.

No comments: